Friday, February 11, 2011

2010 Top 10 Poisons for Pets
Do you know what stuff or food is toxic to your pets at home? I don't. xD Which is why ASPCA posted an article about it. In 2010, the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center (APCC) in Urbana, Illinois, had received more than 167,000 phone calls about pets exposed to possible poisonous substances. Eergh. Wonder how much here in Sabah.

top 10 poisons for pets 2011

2010 Top 10 Pet Toxins
Human medications. Almost 25% of the calls were about human medicines accidentally ingested by pets. Common culprits are over-the-counter medications- ibuprofen, acetaminophen, antidepressants and ADHD medications.
What to do: Don't keep your pets around when you're sitting down with the meds next to you.

Insecticides. Guess my mom's avoidance of using these are a good thing too. About 20% of the calls to the APCC were about insecticides. Insecticides are commonly used on pets to control fleas and around houses to avoid annoying, flying, creeping bugs like cockroaches.
What to do: Always follow instructions.

Rodenticides. Baits that are used to kill mice and rats are mostly grain-based. Pets too, are attracted to these and there are several types of rodenticides that can cause seizures, kidney failure or internal bleeding.
What to do: Always make sure these are placed in areas that pets cannot access. Say, the storeroom.

People food including xylitol, grapes, onions and garlic are commonly ingested by pets. Xylitol, a suger alcohol used to sweeten sugar-free gums and mints can cause low blood sugar and liver failure in dogs. Onions and garlic can cause anemia if enough is consumed. Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failures.
What to do: Well, you know. Don't give garlic breads to them, don't give sweets..etc etc. =p

Veterinary medications, many of them are made with flavors for the ease of giving them. This can mean that animals may ingest more than they have to.
What to do: Contact your veterinarian if your pet ingests more than his should-be dose. Be sure to say "Bad boy! Baaaad boy!" to him first.

Chocolate contains methylxanthines that acts as a stimulant to our pets. The darker the chocolate, the more methylxanthines it has. This can cause agitation, vomiting, diarrhea, high heart rate, muscle tremors, seizures and death. Yikes!
What to do: Just give him some cupcakes or muffins aite. Or shouldn't? Aaaah maybe they should just stick to their normal diet- meat!

Household toxins. Cleaning supplies such as acids, alkalis and bleach can cause corrosive injury to the mouth and stomach. Other household items such as liquid potpourri and batteries can cause similar problems as well.
What to do: Keep these waaaay high up their noses!

Plants can be and may be ingested by our pets. Lilies can cause life-threatening kidney failure in cats while sago palms can cause liver failure in both dogs and cats.
What to do: Keep a protective barrier like tall pot or hang it.

Herbicides have a salty taste and pets will eat ingest them.
What to do: Always follow label directions and keep your pets off the treated area until they're dry. 

Outdoor toxins such as fertilizers, antifreeze and ice melts should be securely locked in sheds or on high shelves where pets can't get to them.

My Pet May Be Poisoned! Help!
Contact your veterinarian or the Animal Poison Control Center's 24 hour hotline at (888) 426 4435. I think this only applies in the United States...too bad Sabah doesn't have this type of service.

Shine on,


Post a Comment

Hi there, leave a comment! You can subscribe comments on this post by clicking the link below (if you're logged in). Thanks!

Let's Talk
Delilah MK
Selangor, Malaysia